This year the project week at Codarts University of the Arts Rotterdam includes a worldwide composition project, including students from the global academies for Jazz music, World music and Pop music.
This is a report of the final day 3 of this project, after a concept of Carlo de Wijs and with a working plan by Paul van Brugge called Instant composing; the team of composition teachers further consisted of Oscar van Dillen, Desmond Haneveer and René Uijlenhoet, along with creative producing teachers Åke Danielsson and Thomas Bank. The team was supported in project coordination by Ronald Kool and in organization by Leo Vervelde, Renske Wassink, Wies Peeters and René Vervoorn.
The students were organized in three groups, with each its own concept and composition:
- global ensemble
- heavy ensemble
- weird ensemble
This time the teams of composers and creative producers were asked to begin by recording short fragments, chosen by the musicians, according to the following rules:
- The musicians “rule” as to what they shall play as fragments
- Each fragment shall be exactly 30 seconds
- The first fragment (A) must bee a freely chosen moment, structure, melody, harmony or rhythm
- The second fragment (B) must be in maximal contrast to the first as to its musical parametersexplanation
- The third fragment (C) must be different yet, and completely freely chosen by the musician, a “what the heck i always wanted to play this” kind of moment
- (during compositing phase) add 1 : All recorded fragments must be used, in a perceivable way, and of each fragment at least 20 seconds must be used
- (during compositing phase)add 2 : Re-recording a fragment is allowed under the following conditions
- a musician should express the wish to do so
- the decision thereto is taken by consensus (not majority vote) of the composition/production team (4 persons each)movie on consensus
Each team started the day with choosing a concept, also called “label” of “stamp”, to be used as a thematical source of check and inspiration for their composition/production. The three concepts chosen by each of the teams of composers and creative producers were:
- waiting forest
- guilty morning
In the photos, taken by me as well as by Åke Danielsson, Desmond Haneveer and Efthymis Stavropoulos, we tried to capture the vibrantly creative atmosphere and the energy or synergy of this grand collaboration. These photographs are collectively released under CC-BY-NC-ND 3.0.
Oscar van Dillen